Wednesday, June 29, 2016

My Yiayia



My Yiayia was fierce, independent, a total love and a damn good cook. She collected coats, shoes, jewelry, hats, fabric, Danish Modern furniture, teacups and blue and white dishes (among many other things). She made the best lemon potatoes.

My Yiayia always wore lipstick. She used it as rouge on her cheeks and color on her lips. She always had at least half a dozen tubes to pick between. She liked to linger over her coffee "I just have to finish my coffee" she would say if she ever felt rushed or wanted to stay a while longer. But when she was ready to go, you better be ready to go to! Yiayia meant business.

My Yiayia was my something blue at my wedding. She wore the most beautiful blue lace dress; the lace almost matching the lace of my dress. She was so vibrant.

My Yiayia always took us to lunch at Nordys. The food and service were always good and the shopping wasn't bad either. To this day, I still meet my Mom there or take girlfriends there who frequently tell me they never knew Nordy's had a restaurant. Best lunch date. I have memories of buying ballet shoes salt water sandles and sneakers at Norstroms with Yiayia. She always made sure we had good shoes, a good coat and something nice to wear for Easter.

Yiayia was my fairy godmother. When I was in school in Florence, she made sure I traveled and went on as many trips as I could. I have memories of the hills towns of Tuscany, Venice and Sicily because of of my Yiayia.

My Yiayia always kept candies at her house when we were little. Orange candies (little orange gummies), sesame candies (kind of like peanut brittle but small and with sesame) and gum. Whenever we came over, we would go straight to those wooden canisters on the counter, above the silverware drawer to grab a few to snack on. You could always count on Yiayia having a few in her purse too.

My Yiayia taught me to swin. She taught at Columbia Athletic club for years and years. My mom used to drive me to Yiayia's house and then Yiayia and I would drive up to the club for class. We would have our swim lesson, go in the hot tub, get cleaned up, put on our lipstick (well mostly Yiayia at the time) and then go home (and eat something of course!).

My Yiayia loved to sing and play music. In their tiny little house (pre-renovation), there was a grand piano and an organ (intermixed with all the Danish Modern furniture) all in one tiny little room. It always felt so cozy. She sang in choir at church, in the community choir and frequently played the piano and organ.

My Yiayia loved all her grandkids but never had any favorites (or so she said!) but she would always call us her favorite "You are my favorite Andrea."

You're my favorite Yiayia.

No comments:

Post a Comment