Saturday, May 21, 2016

Brave

I decided to be brave. I decided instead of talking about changing my career, I would actually change my career. For all the confidence, planning and assertiveness I have in my life, I am actually quite risk averse (something I had to finally admit to myself!). I have always tried to do the "right" thing, be responsible,  be "good", have people like me... At the base of this, I got settled into the way things were and the longer I settled the harder I found it to break free. My booklist piled with travel books, cooking books, yoga books. Just ask Peter how many times we dreamed of travelling, taking time off, changing directions.

Last year Pete (and almost all of his co-workers), after almost 10 years at his company, was laid off (or as we say -- paid to quit!). This was a huge blessing because his job had been slowly (mostly figuratively) killing him and the company had ceased growing. He took this as an opportunity to take a break, reassess and then start his own business with our dear friend Rob. I was so so tempted to quit my job at this point, but the timing didn't seem right. I had just started a job that I LOVED (words I thought I would never say at my company!). So we waited. We invested in Peter's company.

Flash forward, end of 2015: I was getting stir crazy. When were we going to do all these things we have always talked about?  When were we going to do something different? When was I going to be brave and finally take a risk?

Turns out quitting your job at almost 30 isn't as much of a risk as I thought. Turns out everyone is wildly supportive,  encouraging, "now is the best time for you to do this!" they said...

But I did have to decide. To be willing to leave my comfort zone, a job I loved and a team of people I cared deeply about.

You know that stud of a man I married? He's been the single most encouraging person. He's on this crazy ride with me. He's still got that twinkle in his eye, listening to all my ideas for what to do our lives, willing to help me pursue my dreams and our dreams together.

So here's to our adventures... to being brave and taking risks. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I had the revelation just recently that it really is amazing how much latitude we have to make our lives reflect that which is important to us. Here's to your adventures! And prayers coming your way for good health, smooth travels, and fun experiences in the next several weeks. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bravery and risk talking us contagious.We steadfastly cling to what is known, but if we step out we find all kinds of security in the unknown. It's is faith at its rawest, elemental core. Well done, daughter, and son!

    ReplyDelete